Saturday, June 2, 2012

Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara (Review)


Maybelline's range of Volum' Express mascaras have been a staple in my make up kit for a long time. They're durable, long lasting, quality mascaras without the expensive price tag. 

Recently, I picked up the newest addition to the Volum' Express family, The Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara. Honestly, the only reason why I bought it was because it was on display at Wal-Mart and the colour caught my eye. If it weren't for the super cute packaging, I probably would have walked right by it!

My current mascara in my make up bag is Dior Show Black Out. It's by far the best mascara on the market and it does everything a mascara should do: lengthen, thicken, and add a little extra va-va-voom. Although it's amazing, it also carries an expensive price tag - 25$. Not something that you want to continuously replenish in your make up bag. 

The Mega Plush mascara comes in the classic bottle but the one thing that is different, is the brush. The want and the brush are both bendable. I don't really get how this helps because you don't really need to push down on the wand and the brush that much to apply mascara, but hey, whatever. The brush itself is this massive, soft and plush, thick and thin bristled thing. The mascara sits nicely on the brush and doesn't clump at all.



As for the product itself, I didn't really find that it lengthens quite like my Dior Show Black Out. Then again, I don't think you can compare the two since one is 7$ and the other, 25$. The product does live up to it's 'weightless' gel mousse description. You cannot feel the product on your lashes at all, but you still get a great application. I found that the classic wiggle on the mascara works best. Start at the root and wiggle the wand all the way to the tip of your lashes. I also curl before and after I apply. Yes, I know curling after mascara application is wrong. 

Lastly, the removal. Black Out gives me a heck of a time when I try to remove it. Even with eye make up remover, I still end up looking like Rocky Raccoon. The Mega Plush comes off nice and easy. Maybe a bit too easy. I did notice that if you have greasy eye lids, you might experience a bit of smudging. Be sure to seal it all in using your make up set/sealer of choice. 

So, the verdict. If you're looking for a nice, cheap everyday mascara that won't cause you to take a second mortgage out on your house, this is your product. You can find it at your local drug store or Wal-Mart for under 10$. It lives up to the gel mousse weightless hype, however, don't believe the model on the web page with the lashes as long as the Nile. 

Grading: A-
Why?: A great every day mascara (formula etc.). Not really for those nights when you want your lashes to have that extra oomph. You get what you pay for!

No comments:

Post a Comment